Bite Club brings life back to Mitte with weekly streetfood fest at Platoon Kunsthalle
By Andrew Cottrill . June 7, 2014
The weather’s going to be beautiful, so what better way to ruin your beach-ready bodies than by eating too much of Berlin’s best streetfood at Bite Club this Saturday at Platoon Kunsthalle.
After a highly successful run of events at the Hoppetosse, near Badeschiff, on the edge of town, the guys from Bite Club are bringing their street food festival right into the heart of Berlin – throwing weekly events every Saturday at Mitte’s Platoon.
For long-time Berliners this is a breath of fresh air. After watching all the best parties, clubs and events moving out of Mitte over the years in the name of gentrification, it’s good to see the town centre clawing back its place as the heart of Berlin life.
Aside from the food, Bite Club caters for all tastes – offering a wide selection of drinks and cocktails (including iced drinks to take the sun’s heat off) and creating a free-for-all relaxed party atmosphere with music from a range of DJs.
What makes Bite Club great is that, not only do they collect some of Berlin’s most interesting, accomplished and aspiring chefs and streetfood vendors and put them all in one place, they also challenge them to work together and produce new, unique dishes – such as a previous theme of offering dishes and drinks utilising Singleton whisky. At this rate, Bite Club could quickly become a Berlin institution to match Markthalle Neun’s streetfood festival.
The Food and Drink on Offer (as according to Bite Club*):
- Bunsmobile: The big yellow truck (plus Victor the Jack Russell) will be serving up their classic cheeseburger – freshly ground chuck, their custom buns and molten cheddar.
- Bebe Rebozo: Our funky purple truck will be serving up the refreshing Peruvian classic of ceviche in various guises of white fish marinated in lime juice with coriander and onion.
- Mogg & Melzer: All we need to say about this Mitte joint is what the New York Times’ food critic Pete Wells said recently about their pastrami on rye which ‘only a handful of New York delis can match’.
- Orlando: This charming duo from Sicily do all sorts of delicious deep-fried goodies like panelle (chickpea fritters), arancine (risotto balls) and timbale (pasta pies).
- Taco Kween: Our resident Mexican stall make their own GM-free corn tortillas for tacos topped with braised pork in annato, roast pineapple or fish in a Basque pepper sauce.
- Pic Nic 34: Gianni will be grilling Arrosticini – a classic Abruzzo streetfood of mutton skewers and fresh-grilled piadinas filled with Sicilian cream cheese, pesto and Italian sausage.
- Maria Maria Arepas: Columbian cornbreads are freshly griddled and filled with classic combos like ‘reina pepiada’ a holy trinity of chicken, avocado and mayonnaise.
- Bun Bao: Try these sticky steamed buns with stewed pork or lemongrass tofu and topped with coriander, pickled salad and peanut powder. Or his delicious steamed Ha Gao dumplings with sauce.
- Zwei Dicke Bären: Two inspired bakers making the softest, crumbliest cookies teamed up with Mos Eisley to produce the wonder that is an ice cream sandwich.
*We’ve yet to try them all but, for now, we’ll trust their descriptions (everything DOES sound delicious).
Saturdays 2:00pm – 10:00pm
Schönhauser Allee 9,